Sunday, November 23, 2008

All4Roo is about Open Source.
Most organisations use proprietary software. Microsoft still dominates the operating system and productivity suites through their aggressive sales and marketing strategy and fair play to them.
But things are changing and have been for sometime. Open Source software has been gaining prominence for some time, though it's in the back office where it's really made it's mark. Linux, Apache and JBoss are standard nowadays. But it's at the user desktop where the real gains will be and the revolution will happen.

From where I sit, managers in business don't trust Open Source and therefore don't want to change to it. The IT Crowd in the sealed room are fans and know what it can do and how it can do it. But I've yet to find many who can bridge the gap and understand the systems and sell them.

Whilst I have experience of this, I don't have all the answers. I hope to learn as much from this Blog as I hope everyone else will.

I'm going to start by listing the Open Source alternatives to all the lovely applications that we use on a day to day basis at home or in the office.

Feel free to contribute or send your ideas and stories. Stories are particularly welcome if you have experienced a successful business transformation from proprietary to Open Source.

No comments: